Fluence Analytics Controls Engineer
Fluence Analytics Controls Engineer
Fluence Analytics is a New Orleans based startup company that delivers patented measurement products, data analytics, and automation technologies in the $1 trillion per year polymer industry and the $160 billion per year biopharma industry. Our core technologies measurably and reliably impact our customers production efficiency, R&D, safety, and profitability. This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic, early stage startup where you will have a lot of responsibility and grow professionally very quickly as we bring exciting new technologies to markets all over the world.
The successful Controls Engineer has worked with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), SCADA and HMI systems from design through execution. Fundamental knowledge in automation architecture, logic, documentation and programming are critical aspects of the role. This individual is highly motivated, curious, willing to learn and apply new concepts to go above and beyond to get things done. This person needs to be ready to develop and execute a direction for the controls architecture of our products. Background in automation of instrumentation for industrial environments in petrochemical or similar applications, from design through startup in manufacturing facilities are also additional attributes of our ideal candidate.
What you will get to do:
- AUTOMATION DESIGN & PROGRAMMING - Architecture, design and programming of communication integration, automation logic and HMI for innovative products. Would also include in-house R&D, testing, and supporting field installation, startup, troubleshooting and commissioning of company products for permanent or trial projects. May require travel domestically and internationally.
- DOCUMENTATION - Produce and maintain standard programming, controls and electrical documentation for Company products..
- TESTING AND COMMISSIONING - Real-time test and validation of automation logic and code during QA and R&D activities. Vision and leadership for improving products.
- CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND DATA REVIEW - Remote and onsite customer support as needed. Review sensor and instrument data. Documentation of all data, performance or customer issues. Work with the team on training and/or design solutions to problems from field experience.
- BS in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent Majors such as: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.) - other degrees may be accepted with demonstrated training and relevant experience
- 5-10+ years of experience as a Controls Engineer or Applications Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
- Experience working in petrochemical or similar manufacturing environments or products serving those industries
- Knowledge of license, server management and security considerations for control system software
- Demonstrated experience in control system architecture
- Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical / mechatronic systems.
- In-depth knowledge in controllers (PLC, microcontrollers, etc.) and control theory:
- Demonstrated excellence in programming PLCs.
- Must have a well-defined methodology for maintaining code structure and organization.
- Ability to program state machines for complex processes which involve multi-station parallel processing, data acquisition, and PID control.
- Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery.
- Advanced proficiency programming industrial systems:
- Human Machine Interface (Rockwell FactoryTalk View and Inductive Automation Ignition!)
- Field bus Networks (Ethernet IP, Modbus, Profibus/ Profinet)
- Serial communication (RS-232/422/485) between PLCs and instruments
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- OPC servers (DA/UA version.)
- Exposure to a wide variety of industrial sensors, and equipment (pressure transducers, temperature controllers, current and power meters, etc)
- Experience creating technical specifications for automation components.
Your bonus qualifications – a couple of these are a plus but not required!
- 5-10 years of experience as a Controls Engineer or Applications Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
- MS in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent Majors such as: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.)
- Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and servo systems.
- Knowledge or direct experience working in field installation, startup and commissioning of process instrumentation, analyzers or other equipment.
- Previous experience with fluidic systems.
- Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype to production
- Knowledge of C/C++ programming
- Knowledge of system’s remote management
- Knowledge of production quality metrics
- Knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, NEC, UL508A).
- Knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
- Proficiency with 3D CAD packages such as with SolidWorks
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Stock options will be offered
- Health, dental and vision benefits
- Paid Time Off (Vacation and Holidays)