Fluence Analytics is a New Orleans based startup company that delivers patented measurement products, data analytics, and automation technologies in the $1 trillion per year polymer industry and the $160 billion per year biopharma industry. Our core technologies measurably and reliably impact our customers production efficiency, R&D, safety, and profitability.
Fluence Analytics is looking for an enthusiastic full-time Applications Scientist. This is a research based position, more than 70% of the position’s work will be focusing on interdisciplinary research in polymer and materials science and engineering fields. The ideal candidate is a strong and organized experimentalist with experience in wet chemistry, sample handling, and use of instrumentation such as light scattering, various UV and IR spectroscopies, pumps, and millifluidics. The candidate should be able to gather, handle, and analyze large streams of data. Additionally, the candidate should be a strong communicator, a fast learner, highly motivated and organized with a willingness to go above and beyond to get things done. Background in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, chemical physics, polymer chemistry, synthetic chemistry, chemical engineering with the appropriate analysis background is a requirement. Experience with computer based data analysis is a plus e.g. Python, MATLAB, etc.
- Application Research - develop, execute and report on customer and internal application projects, chiefly in the polymer synthesis and processing field, including literature search, writing research plans, making experiments, analyzing results and preparing reports.
- Method development and validation - develop new analysis methods, document and validate. Includes working with the engineering team to improve products by expanding features, making changes to analysis or measurement methods.
- Product validation, testing and analysis - test and validate existing products which combine multiple analytical detectors, millifluidics, and large scale data generation. Support manufacturing and engineering teams for product validation, including documentation and reporting.
- Customer interface and training - interface with customers where appropriate on applications.
- 0-5+ years' work experience in laboratory sample characterization and analysis
- A PhD in chemistry, physics or chemical engineering with emphasis in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, chemical physics, polymer chemistry or very closely related disciplines
- Candidates with M.S. and more than 5 years of relevant experience in the space will also be considered
- Experience with wet chemistry and polymer characterization
- Experience with designing, executing and reporting on experimental plans in a laboratory environment
- Experience gathering and analyzing experimental data, making conclusions and preparing reports and other materials.
- Ability to work in a team environment and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self motivated, diligent and capable of designing and executing laboratory experiments.
- Familiarity with lab equipment and troubleshooting equipment issues as they arise.
- Strong analytical skills and extremely well organized.
Bonus qualifications (a couple of these are a plus but not required!):
- 5+ years in polymer analysis and characterization roles.
- Synthetic polymer experience
- Previous work experience with laboratory and/or process analyzer technology or systems.
- Knowledge or direct experience working in manufacturing of analysis systems.
- Experience or general understanding of industrial automation e.g. PLCs.
- Previous experience with chemical handling/injection systems.
- Previous experience with polymer characterization methods such as GPC and SEC
- Previous experience with polymer characterization methods involving light scattering, UV, IR, NMR, and other spectroscopies
- Previous experience with polymer thermal or rheological characterization methods such as MFI, TGA and DSC
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Stock options will be offered
- Health, dental and vision benefits
- Paid Time Off (Vacation and Holidays)